VIBES Mentor Tutor Program
12111 NE 1st Street
Bellevue, WA 98005
The VIBES Mentor Tutor Program is an in-school program supporting students at all grade levels, PreK-12. VIBES recruits, screens and trains community volunteers to mentor and tutor Bellevue students. Our volunteers come from all walks of life – retirees, working professionals, parents, college students, and BSD high school students. VIBES volunteers commit to a minimum of one hour per week and make a positive impact in a student’s life.
VIBES mentors and tutors are positive, dependable role models. As a mentor or tutor, you can support academic achievement, encourage development of social skills, and motivate students to become life-long learners. In just one hour a week, you can have a lasting impact on a child’s life.
Ways You Can Volunteer
Help a student acquire the skills they need to succeed in life. Caring role models actively listen to their mentees to help these students find their voice and gain the self-confidence they need to succeed and thrive. Mentor placements needed K-12.
K5 Literacy or Math Tutor
Support K5 literacy or math. Work one-on-one or with small groups of students needing extra support to meet grade level standards.
Dual Language Mentor
Dual language Spanish program at Lake Hills, Stevenson, or Sherwood Forest. Dual language Mandarin at Jing Mei. Spanish, Mandarin and multi-lingual speaking volunteers work one-on-one, with small groups, or support whole classrooms in various activities while modeling language skills.
Secondary Academic Tutor
Boost math and science understanding or help an English Language Learner (ELL) with language acquisition and reading comprehension. Help middle and high school students develop better organizational and writing skills. Tutors work one-on-one, with small groups, or support whole classrooms under teacher direction.
Graduation Success Tutor
Work with high school students who are struggling and at risk of not graduating on time. These students need help with current classes as well as online credit recovery courses they may be enrolled in. High demand for Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II tutors.
AVID Academic Coach
AVID – Advancement via Individual Determination – is a program designed to help students build their inquiry and study skills. AVID Academic Coaches facilitate peer-study groups once or twice a week. Additional training required and provided.
College Corps Mentor
Help high school seniors with any part of the college application process for which they need assistance from early October through mid-January. College Corps volunteers assist students with college research, applications, personal statements, and scholarship essays.
Steps to Become a Mentor/Tutor
VIBES is an in-school program. VIBES mentors and tutors work on campus during school hours only.
- Complete an online VIBES application – Bellevue School District Volunteer Application, Disclosure Form, Washington State Patrol Form, and Volunteer Rules, Requirements, and Agreement form. Be sure to include complete contact information for two references.
- Attend a VIBES Program orientation. VIBES orientations are held twice a month, and you can choose between a morning or evening session on those days.
Gerry Ghanooni is a former ELL teacher for Bellevue School District. Ghanooni is retired now, but missed the kids too much to stay home.Read More
- Advisory Committees
- Instructional Materials Adoption
- Honors 7th Grade Literature & Composition Committee
- Life Skills Curriculum
- Special Education Direct Instruction Reading Curriculum
- Algebra 1 – Geometry – Algebra 2 (AGA) Math Adoption
- Honors Freshman Literature & Composition Adoption Committee
- Elementary Science Adoption
- Middle School Science Adoption
- French 4 Textbook Adoption
- ISA Middle School Textbook Adoption
- Japanese Textbook Adoption
- World History Textbook Adoption
- Inclusive Practices Advisory Team
- Athletic Code Review Committee
- Donation Policy Committee
- High School Social & Emotional Learning
- Middle School Social & Emotional Learning
- Gifted Advisory Committee
- Inactive Committees
- AP Physics Adoption
- Elementary 18 Attendance Area Committee
- High School Algebra 1 Adoption
- High School Start Time Steering Committee
- Jr. American Literature Textbook Adoption
- K-5 Chinese Dual Language Adoption
- Middle School ELA Summer Reading Adoption
- Middle School Math Adoption
- P-12 Chinese Dual Language Program
- Instructional Materials Adoption
- Community Partners
- Community Truancy Board
- Parent Groups
- VIBES Mentor Tutor Program