We are no longer accepting Open Enrollment Applications for the 2018-19 school year. The deadline was 4:30 p.m. on January 19, 2018. Results will be sent on:
- February 16 if you applied for middle or high school
- March 20 if you applied for elementary school
Open Enrollment is the time each year when families may request to attend a school other than their neighborhood school. If selected through Open Enrollment, your student will attend the new school beginning the first day of school in the next school year.
The Open Enrollment application is NOT for:
- Students who plan on attending their neighborhood school. Students are guaranteed enrollment at their neighborhood school. These students can simply enroll at their neighborhood school.
- Students who are already open enrolled at their desired school. Students automatically roll up to the next grade if they are open enrolled at a school.
A lottery and/or waiting list will be used if necessary.
Whenever the number of applicants exceeds the available transfer spaces at a particular grade level in a school, a lottery will be conducted after the close of the Open Enrollment period. The Student Placement Office will maintain a waiting list for all schools if necessary. No waiting list will be carried over from year to year.
Late applications will not be considered.
In order to place students and plan for the upcoming school year in a timely manner, we are unable to accept late applications.
Transportation is NOT provided for Open Enrolled students.
High school students may access the Metro bus route arrangement with the school district. Open Enrollment students may ride existing bus routes on a “space available” basis. Parents cannot be advised by the Transportation Department if there is space available until mid-September.
Siblings have preference.
If the student who is applying has a sibling at the requested school, the applying sibling will have preference in admission providing that both siblings will attend the school together for a minimum of one year.
Open Enrollment applications are NOT used for choice programs.
Families interested in applying to International, Big Picture, Puesta del Sol, Jing Mei or the Spanish Dual Language Program should attend an information session to learn about the application process.
Open Enrollment is only required once per school.
When a student has been accepted through Open Enrollment, they may stay at the school as long as the student is not excessively tardy or truant, and does not engage in frequent misconduct.
Open Enrolled students do not follow their new school’s feeder pattern.
When it is time to go to the next school level (from elementary school to middle school or middle school to high school) the student defaults back to their attendance area school. You must apply through Open Enrollment to request a different school.
Open Enrolled students entering 9th grade may participate in athletics.
If your student is going to a new school in 9th grade, they will be able to participate in athletics at the new school. If your student is transferring to a new school in 10th, 11th or 12th grades, they may not be eligible to participate in sports. Please review the Washington Interscholastic Athletics Association (WIAA) guidelines for eligibility.
Who Can Apply?
Open Enrollment is only open to students who live within the Bellevue School District. To participate in Open Enrollment, the student must be physically living within the boundaries at the time of application. If the student does not live in District at the time of application, you may not submit an application.
If your student does not live within the Bellevue School District but you are a full-time employee of the district, you can participate in Open Enrollment. Full-time status will be verified before placement.
You may not apply for Open Enrollment if your student does not live within the Bellevue School District and you are not a full-time employee of the district. In this situation, you would apply for Inter-district Transfer.
Which Schools are Available?
You may apply for any neighborhood school in the district. Applications to International School, Big Picture School, Jing Mei, Puesta del Sol and the Spanish Dual Language Program are NOT part of Open Enrollment. The Student Placement Office will approve or deny transfer based on the following criteria:
- Projected enrollment numbers for the building and specific grade at both the neighborhood school and requested school
- Projected staffing levels
- Building capacity
You may only apply for one school per student and submit only one application per student. If you submit multiple applications, all applications will be discarded.
Status of Schools
Limited means there may be some opportunity at specific grade levels closer to the start of school. It will depend what actual enrollment numbers and class size. Notification will likely not be until August or September.
|Interlake (10th Grade – 12th Grade)|
Possible means there may be some space. Although we will maximize opportunities for all students who wish to attend a requested school, this does not mean we will be able to admit all students who apply. Notification for middle and high school will be in February and March for elementary schools.
|Interlake (9th Grade)|
As schools are filled, we will move them to a Closed status.
Open Enrollment transfers normally continue until the student completes the educational program at the current level of enrollment (elementary, middle or high school). Open Enrollment transfers granted will continue until such time as a request for a transfer to another school is granted, or until the period of time set forth in the transfer has expired except as follows:
1. Open Enrollment students may be required to transfer to another school if the enrollment in the school or grade level at the school in which they are enrolled increases to the point where there would be inadequate space for transfer students. Enrollment increases may be caused by an influx of new resident students with in a school’s existing boundaries or by the addition of new resident students to a school as the result of a boundary change or movement or expansion of a district program.
2. Open Enrollment transfers granted are discontinued at the time the student leaves the school or program for any reason or if a student withdraws from the Bellevue School District.
3. Open Enrollment transfers may be discontinued if the student is excessively tardy or truant, or if the student engages in frequent misconduct, and/or disruptive behavior in violation of school/program rules that indicate the student is not being successful in the school or program.
4. Before the transfer of such a student is terminated under provision 3 above, the student and the parent/guardian will be notified that the student’s continued attendance at this school or program is in jeopardy. Should a decision be made to terminate the student’s transfer under this provision, the parent/guardian will be notified and may appeal that termination to the Superintendent’s designee within three days of the notification.