I want students to enjoy school…maybe not all aspects, all of the time, but overall enjoy being a member of our Big Picture community and develop into caring, engaged adults. I encourage parents to communicate with me via email with any questions or aspects of concern. In this space, I will provide resources aimed at helping everyone become caring, engaged members of the Big Picture community.
Here are a Few of My Favorite Things
The Effect of Praise on Mindsets
19 Things We Should Say to Our Kids
- I love you! There is nothing that will make me stop loving you. Nothing you could do or say or think will ever change that.
- You are amazing! I look at you with wonder! Not just at what you can do, but who you are. There is no one like you. No one!
- It’s all right to cry. People cry for all kinds of reasons: when they are hurt, sad, glad, or worried; when they are angry, afraid, or lonely. Big people cry too. I do.
- You've made a mistake. That was wrong. People make mistakes. I do. Is it something we can fix? What can we do? It’s all over. You can start fresh. I know you are sorry. I forgive you.
- You did the right thing. That was scary or hard. Even though it wasn’t easy, you did it. I am proud of you; you should be too.
- I’m sorry. Forgive me. I made a mistake.
- You can change your mind. It’s good to decide, but it is also fine to change.
- What a great idea! You were really thinking! How did you come up with that? Tell me more. Your mind is clever!
- That was kind. You did something helpful and thoughtful for that person. That must make you feel good inside. Thank you!
- I have a surprise for you. It’s not your birthday. It’s for no reason at all. Just a surprise, a little one, but a surprise.
- I can wait. We have time. You don’t have to hurry this time.
- What would you like to do? It’s your turn to pick. You have great ideas. It’s important to follow your special interests.
- Tell me about it. I’d like to hear more. And then what happened? I’ll listen.
- I’m right here. I won’t leave without saying good-bye. I am watching you. I am listening to you.
- Please and Thank You. These are important words. If I forget to use them, will you remind me?
- I missed you. I think about you when we are not together!
- Just try. A little bit. One taste, one step. You might like it. Let’s see. I’ll help you if you need it. I think you can do it.
- I’ll help you. I heard you call me, here I am. How can I help you? If we both work together, we can get this done. I know you can do it by yourself, but I’m glad to help since you asked.
- What do you wish for? Even if it’s not yet time for birthday candles and we don’t have a wishbone, it’s still fun to hear about what you wish for, hope for, and dream about.