Dear Bennett Families,
I’m sure all of us are excited and a bit anxious to get into our new building. It has been an amazing few months watching our new building grow to completion. It is going to be a great place to grow and learn. I can’t say enough about the design and beauty of this building. That said, you should know that due to the record wet season last year and ongoing construction labor woes, the construction is a little bit behind. Although we will open on the 31st for the school year, our north wing on the top level (fifth grade) will not be completed until October. Luckily we have enough room to house our fifth graders in style. We will all be having to practice a measure of patience and flexibility, but the overall result is fantastic. Nonetheless, we are still Bennett and we’ve taken our great staff, students, families and program with us, so we’re looking for great things this year as always.
Following are important updates, information and events:
- Again this year, we will email your students’ teacher and classroom placement information to you by no later than Monday, August 28th. If you are curious about the process for student placement see the attached handbook.
- Transportation has sent letters to all students/families with bus route and bus stop information. If you don’t receive this information by August 24th you can reach transportation by phone at (425) 456-4512 or at the website http://www.bsd405.org/departments/transportation/
- Please join us for the annual Bulldog Meet and Greet on Tuesday, August 29th from 1:30-3:00. Since we are in a new space we’d like to invite all students and families to this casual event where you can meet your teacher in their classroom say a quick hello, drop off school supplies, and informally tour the campus. PTSA will be on hand in the multipurpose room to greet parents and share all of the wonderful opportunities and resources they provide for our students and staff.
- On the first day of school, Thursday, August 31st, students will line up in the area shown on the attached map. Teachers will come to those areas to take students to class. Students may arrive no earlier than 8:45. There will be volunteers available to help you find your classroom. Please do not enter the classroom as teachers and students will be busy getting ready for their first day. Feel free to head on over to the multipurpose room to be welcomed by our PTSA and see all of the great programs they provide.
- As usual transportation, student arrival and dismissal times are always a challenge and peculiar to the building. Things have changed from the old Bennett and we have new procedures to keep our students, staff, and families safe. Please take a moment to review the attached plan and follow the procedures when on campus. It is essential that we follow the traffic patterns and only arrive through the entrance and exit using the designated route. Similar information can be found in the community handbook and on the Bennett school website.
- In order to help you prepare for a successful start, attached is our Parent/Student Handbook that provides practical information regarding dates, times, and things you will want to know. Taking time to review them should answer many of your questions about the start of school. In the first week, additional information will be sent home with your child to help establish the new school year and help you plan for upcoming events in the life of our school. As always, if you would like more information, you can visit the school website at http://www.bsd405.org/Bennett/ or another great reference is found at the Bennett PTSA website at http://bennett.my-ptsa.org/. You will find basic school information, phone numbers, schedules and district policies to read about! These sites will be updated shortly with new information.
Should you have any questions that have not been answered in this letter, please don’t hesitate to contact the main office by phone should you have any questions at 425-456-4800. Please do not walk in as we are not open to the public until we have final occupancy clearance.
We are all looking forward to our students returning soon!
Have a great last few days of summer, best, your principal,
David D. Staight
BENNETT ELEMENTARY PRINCIPAL | BELLEVUE SCHOOL DISTRICT