K-12 Computer Science
- All students at all schools receiving a high quality computer science education beginning in Kindergarten and extending through 12th grade.
- Strategies to intentionally engage females and students of color in computer science.
- Inclusion of students in special education.
- Student success with 21st century skills: critical thinking, collaboration, computational thinking, communication, and creativity.
- Providing all students with an exemplary college preparatory education so they can succeed in college, career, and life.
INSPIRE_CS is a movement to get all Bellevue School District students engaged in computer science. We will be hosting CS events throughout the school year to help students pursue a future in computer science. Learn more…
Why Computer Science?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, projections for job openings and replacements in computing jobs is 1,366,200 jobs from 2010 – 2020. Projections for all other STEM jobs combined (engineering, life sciences, physical sciences, social sciences) is 908,700 jobs over the same period. This is a 60:40 ratio of jobs in Computing vs the rest of STEM. Learn more…
- To help shape the future of coding and computational thinking for our Bellevue students, some teachers across the district are participating in a pilot.
- Ongoing professional development for pilot teachers is focused on strategies for teaching CS, curriculum resources, and computational thinking.
- Pilot of integrated computer science learning experiences in science using Code.org course
- Ongoing professional development for pilot teachers of CS/science integrated course by Code.org
- Python based Career and Technical Education course (TechSmartKids) and training for teachers (Python 101).
- CTE based robotics and engineering curriculum (Project Lead the Way)
- AP Computer Science offered at all comprehensive high schools, as well as at International School.
- AP Computer Science Principles offered at all comprehensive high schools.
Sample High School CS pathway:
|Introduction to Computer Science (Python 201 Pilot)|
|Video Game Design|
|AP Computer Science Principles|
|AP Computer Science|
|Special Topics in Computer Science|