In accordance with WAC 392-170-050, Bellevue School District screens all applicants for gifted testing
The Gifted Programs Office screened all Bellevue School District students in 1st through 5th grade using the TRC (Text Reading Comprehension) for 1st and 2nd graders and the STAR for grades 2 through 5 and MSP for grades 4 and 5. Students that met the screening criteriai will be sent a letter in mid-October 2013 inviting them to make application (UPDATE: All prescreening letters were mailed out via US Mail on Thursday, October 17, 2013). No further documentation will be required from this group of students.
All Other Candidates
For students in:
Must provide current evidence of academic performance (within the last 6 months) with their application. You only need to submit one from the list below. For example:
- A '4' in any subject on the MSP (it does not have to be a '4' in all subjects as long as the '4' is in at least one area) or
- 85th percentile or above on the STAR in reading or math or
- Top rating on a state assessment other than Washington or
- 85th percentile or above on outside testing by an independent practitioner or other school district, for example:
- Achievement – CAT (California Achievement Test), SAT (Stanford Achievement Test), TerraNova, MAP (Measures of Academic Progress), ISEE (Independent School Entrance Exam, Woodcock-Johnson, etc. or
- Cognitive – WISC (Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children), Stanford-Binet, Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children, etc.
i Students that Met the Screening Criteria
- Students qualified if they had a TRC of Level E or above for 1st grade or Level O or above for 2nd grade, scoring in the 85th percentile or above on the Fall 2013 STAR in reading or math or scoring a “4” on the June 2013 MSP.
ii Students that did not Receive a Prescreening Letter
- We have prescreened all students using all available resources (TRC, STAR, MSP). If you did not receive a prescreening letter and you have additional evidence of academic performance outside of what the district and your teacher already provided, please submit your child's application with that achievement or cognitive testing information.
- Your child's teacher has already provided all available test results to our office prior to the prescreening process and will not be able to provide additional information.
iii Students in Private School (1st or 2nd grade ONLY) or Home-Schooled Only
- If your child has no standardized tests, please submit the most current progress assessment (within the last 6 months) and the end of the year report card from June 2013.